Weiser Professional Development Fellowship

The Ronald and Eileen Weiser Center for Europe and Eurasia at the University of Michigan invites applications for the Weiser Professional Development Fellowships.

Applicants are invited to propose projects in any field of research or teaching with a faculty partner at the University of Michigan. Candidates must have excellent oral and written English language skills; proficiency will be verified.

The awards support short-term research visits of 4 to 6 weeks to the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and include round-trip airfare, housing, health insurance, and a modest per diem.

These awards are made possible thanks to a gift from Ambassador Ronald Weiser, U.S. Ambassador to Slovakia from 2001-04, and his wife, Eileen Lappin Weiser.

The application for this fellowship usually starts in early June and the deadline is September 15.


    • Armenia
    • Azerbaijan
    • Belarus
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
    • Georgia
    • Kaliningrad (Russia)
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kosovo
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Macedonia
  • Moldova
  • North Macedonia
  • Serbia
  • Slovak Republic
  • Tajikistan
  • Turkmenistan
  • Ukraine
  • Uzbekistan


    • Ph.D. diploma or equivalent.
    • Affiliation at an institution of higher education located in one of the eligible countries.
    • Scope of duties at home institution must include teaching/lecturing.
    • Citizenship of one of the eligible countries.


All the necessary information and the application form can be found on the Weiser Center for Europe and Eurasia website. With any questions you can contact us at [email protected]


My country is not listed. Can you add it so I can apply?

No. At this time, we can only consider applications from the countries on the list.

I don't have Ph.D. Can I apply?

Ph.D. diploma is required from all candidates. If it is not possible to obtain a Ph.D. diploma in your field of study in your country, but you meet other eligibility criteria – contact us.

I have a doctorate and conduct research, but I do not teach. Can I apply?

No. This award is intended specifically for faculty development.

I am a student, can I apply for this award?

No, this award is for Faculty members only. Please visit educationUSA.state.gov for information about opportunities for students to visit the U.S.

Is TOEFL certificate required?

No, TOEFL scores are not required. If you took the test within the past 3 years, please include the results in your application.